- A. C. Moore, a prominent and well-to-do farmer of Canton Township, residing on section 32, was born in Somerset County, N. J., April 10, 1821. His father, Abraham H. Moore, is thought to have been a Native of New Jersey, and he was there married to Grace Van Dorn a native of that State. In 1839 they removed to Ohio and settled in butler County, whence they came in 1850 to Fulton County, and cast in their lot with the pioneers near Prairie City. They spent their last years at Bushnell, Ill. They were the parents of ten children of whom our subject was the fourth.
Our subject remained with his parents until he was twenty-five years old, when he married and established a home of his own, taking as his wife Jane Williamson, to whom he was wedded in Butler County, Ohio. Her parents were John and Christiana (Brener) Williamson, natives respectively of Kentucky and Pennsylvania. Mrs. Moore was born in Butler County, August 16, 1822, and there she and our subject began their wedded life, on a farm. Mr. Moore was actively engaged in cultivating the soil there for some years and also in raising stock. He was especially interested in breeding Poland-China hogs and introducing them in that section of the country.
In the fall of 1854 our subject came to Illinois and settled in Buckheart Township, where he lived ten years. He next took up his residence in Canton, and remained there three years. In the fall of 1868 he settled on section 32, Canton Township, where he has since lived. He is still interested in raising Poland-China hogs and also in raising French coach horses and the Percherons and is conducting an extensive stock business. He owns a valuable, well-equipped farm of four hundred and sixty acres of choice land in Canton and Buckheart Townships, and is one of the most skillful farmers in this vicinity.
Mr. and Mrs. Moore are the parents of these three children: Maggie, the wife of Mathias Baker; John W., a farmer in Buckheart Township; and Charles A., also a farmer in that place. Mr. and Mrs. Moore are valued members of the Presbyterian Church and are people of high social standing in their community. He has filled the offices of Deacon and Trustee of the church and is prominent in religious circles.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Fulton County, 1890, page 868,